Saturday, September 8, 2007

Our First Week of School

We started school Tuesday this week. On Tuesday, I was helping with school work from 9:00 am until 2:00pm. Then we ate a late lunch and did a little more school work. It was pretty frustrating. I thought that I was cutting back on school work time after all! We cut back to the basics so that we could all pursue our interests more. Tuesday night I was trying to figure out what more we could cut to make my day shorter.

On Wednesday, everyone was finished by 10:30 am. I guess it was just a first day thing :)

Part of what Stephen and Shane are doing is Merit Badges for part of Biology. The first ones that they chose to do are Personal Fitness and Forestry. We printed out worksheets for them both from Meritbadge.com and looked to see where the merit badge counselors were. For Personal Fitness there are 3. They all live in the same neighborhood...45 minutes away. There isn't one in our district for Forestry. I think we should have been working on getting counselors over the summer. Too late now... Shane and I went to the Forest Service office to see if someone would help us. They said come back on Monday. We thought getting one counselor right now was enough, so Stephen is supposed to call one of the Personal Fitness ones but I don't think he has yet.

Jacob, Jessica, and Sarah are trying a lapbook from Knowledge Box Central to go along with Apologia Botany. They seem to be enjoying it, but the girls would like even more lapbooks to do. Jacob doesn't seem so sure. For the next science book I might try to get a lapbook from Live 'n' Learn Press and compare them.

Sarah and Joe both are pretty polka dotted (chicken pox), so didn't really do any school work this week. Sarah did do the lapbook though. Hopefully they will feel better next week.

No comments: