Friday, January 19, 2007

Our Life This Week...

Well...Maybe this is a once a week blog : )

Sarah went to Utah to visit Grandma Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday while her dad was at his grandmother's funeral. This is the first time Sarah and Joe were apart for more than a few hours. When Sarah got home, she and Joe ran and played for two hours straight.

Jacob only has 2 more things to get his Bear badge (yeah!). I have been concerned about his reading level since I started homeschooling him and hoped that if I kept being patient he would catch up. Well, he is reading the McGuffey 3rd Reader now. When I looked up current reading levels for this book, it is somewhere between 4th and 8th grade depending on where you look and which lesson you try to get a grade level for (they vary a lot). He is officially 4th grade, and is having no problem reading it. I found a different science curriculum (Elementary Apologia) for him that I think we will start next year. It is quite a bit cheaper than Noeo (that I was planning on using) and as we read a sample chapter together, he was so excited about it that he ran off to try the experiments.

Jessica started knitting classes this week. She must really be enjoying it since she doesn't do anything else until late in the day. As I was looking at the website for the science curriculum that Stephen and Shane will be using next year, I noticed that it says to start Biology the same year as Algebra I. Jessica will be starting Algebra I next year, so I guess she will be having science with Stephen and Shane.

Shane has had a book report due on Robinson Crusoe since Monday. I have been trying to get him to write it in a different format than what he has been doing, so he has been fighting me all week. Tonight he finally gave in and sat down at the computer to write. He wrote 5 pages in one sitting! He has said that maybe he wants to be a writer someday...

Stephen is really enjoying seminary. Tuesday and Wednesday, he woke me up to make sure that we would make it in time (usually Stan takes him). His teacher told me he is the only one that reads the scriptures for the lesson ahead of time. He is taking his calling as Teacher's Quorum President seriously, also. He has been calling to remind the boys about activities without anyone reminding him.

No comments: