Saturday, April 28, 2007

Book Reviews...

Well, I thought that I would read all of the assigned books that I was going to assign Stephen and Shane for next year now to be prepared.

I read My Antonia first. If you like a book that goes on and on about the landscape of Nebraska around 1900, you'll love this book. There were a few interesting points in the lives of the people in the book, but they were just mentioned and then the chapter would end. The new chapter would start with the landscape again.

Then I read The Home Ranch by Ralph Moody. I couldn't recommend Ralph Moody books enough. They are great read alouds or read alones for boys. Jessi and I like them also :)

Next I read Murder on the Orient Express. It wasn't bad, but not something I would have chosen. And the end disturbed my sense of justice.

Lastly I read All Quiet on the Western Front. It is very well written and thought provoking, but also very depressing.

After reading all these books since January, I realized why the kids complain when I assign literature. I don't like being told what to read either! Out of four books I really liked only one.

I have a new literature plan for next year. I bought a literary analysis curriculum called Lightning Literature, one for Jessi and one for Stephen and Shane. Jessi's covers 3 novels, 1 autobiography, and a few short stories/poems for the entire year. She will just study them in depth and mimic writing styles/types. Stephen and Shane will be studying great speeches in history. They will also get the Boy Scout reading merit badge for part of their school work. This should relieve the "Mom always tells me what to read" syndrome.

No comments: