Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Comments about next year's plan

We had to change from A2 because it's history only goes up to 1900 and we wanted to study 20th Century History next year. I also wanted to have more discussion--helps to have more than one kid studying the same thing. So we are going to try studying the same history all at the same time using DK History of the 20th Century as our guide. The older kids will have to read whatever the younger kids are reading for history and something extra.

They are all studying the same science also, but totally different programs. We should have some discussion coming from this.

I will probably still require narrations for science and history and reports on reading, but will use Write Source handbooks for ideas and explanations on how to write in different ways.

Starting after the New Year, I am going to be studying the older kids literature and history for next year. I am going to use methods I am reading about in A Well Educated Mind so that I will be better prepared for discussions. The basis of what she says (in A Well Educated Mind) is to read a section of your book, write a narration, and your opinion of it in a journal. This helps to cement it in your mind and gives you something to refer to for discussions. I think I will start doing this for personal scripture study also.

No comments: